Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Financial Times: How to Spend It

There is a magazine called the Financial Times, and it features a section called How to Spend It. Just like the title sounds like, it helps rich people find things to spend their money on. I have mixed feelings towards this website. As much as I try to refrain from desiring material goods and luxury experiences or "wordly pleasures" as they call it, I do anyway. I would say "I'm only human" but I'm sure there are a lot of people that in fact, don't desire any of the things mentioned on the website at all. Like the Dalai Lama. But we can't all be the Dalai Lama.

The reason it horrifies me that I find myself wanting to peruse it for hours is twofold. On one hand, it's a waste of time. Realistically speaking, as rich as I hope to become, I'm not going to be able to lay my hands on the vast amount of money is required to be looking at this website seriously and often anyway. On the other hand, I feel so guilty even considering buying any of these things because there are people that have and are content with SO much less. As satisfied as I am with everything I have, there will always be things that I want, things that I don't need.
 
It's a complicated situation. Because also consider that if people peruse this and actually go out and buy these goods and services, they are putting money into the economy. That could be good for certain people in certain industries. It could just make other business executives rich who then in turn go out and buy these luxury goods and services again. It could just be a cycle that puts everyone right back where they started.

All that being said, it's not completely terrible...there's a PHILANTHROPY section! Huzzah, all is right with the world. This is where everyone is probably going, right?

And hey there's also a gift guide. Good for gifting to the homeless, am I right? So in all honesty, I won't be buying any of these things.

And helping the homeless is somewhat of a struggle for me. It's not as bad as it sounds. I want to help them all, but I can't. I pass by the same people on my commute to and from work. Each time I want to give them something, but I realize that I will be passing them every single day. I think I shall help them out on the last day of my internship, but for now, I will just have to bite down on that guilty tongue of mine as I pass by my fellow humans in the 50th chiffon top I own and dress pants that I paid more than necessary for.


0 comments:

Post a Comment